The exponential growth and availability of business opportunities has made the Internet an ideal place not only to provide a service, sell a product or start a business but also a place to save a lot of money by using these services. Offshore outsourcing can allow a company to offer its products for less money than its competitors.
Offshore outsourcing is a way to hire an external organization in a different country to perform some or most of the functions of a business. The development and manufacturing is usually done in the home country of the business and by outsourcing to a different country, the costs of running that business are reduced, allowing for a better profit margin. But, is it really worth it?
While many Internet business owners want to cut costs wherever they can, it’s important to remember cutting costs is NOT the most important factor. While not all offshore service providers fit this description, many don’t possess the quality of work an online business owner is looking for. There can be many reasons for this:
1. Language barriers can cause many problems for the business owner.
2. Business concepts or practices may not be grasped by the company performing the work. This is usually because things are done differently in their country.
3. Time zone differences can be a pain to work with if they are too far apart.
4. Currency issues. Many times you save money when you pay someone in a country whose currency is different than your own, but not always. If you don’t have a payment outlet that automatically converts, it is time consuming to figure out the current conversion rate if you aren’t used to how it’s done.
5. Depending on the company, can you really feel good knowing that you’re paying someone pennies (sometimes literally) to complete work for you.
6. Many offshore companies will not do small tasks, which sometimes is all that needs to be done for an online business.
Let me first be clear about something. By offshore outsourcing we’re not talking about freelancers who live in other countries, but instead the big companies who employ workers (who sometimes work for very little pay) to complete the work you need done.
Some common outsourced tasks for online business owners include content creation and writing of various sorts which is why hiring someone from a different country to do the work can be difficult. When you write for your website, you want to write for your readers and if the writer you hire doesn’t do this correctly, you’ll spend a lot of time making corrections or editing their writing. Not a good thing when you’re trying to focus your time on other important areas of your business but can’t because you’re spending too much time going back over someone else’s work.
That being said there are Internet marketers and other online business owners who have found success with outsourcing to offshore companies. As with any other business decision you need to think long and hard before you make a choice as to whether or not to outsource your work to an offshore company.
The main factor behind this practice is the need to cut costs. However, as I mentioned before, quality and customer satisfaction are more important than cost reduction in the long run.